Trans-America Journey has a great post with some tips on car trips in Mexico. I didn’t see anything here about safety, but there are some good points.
I would have added some info from the US Consulate in Mexico for information on taking your car into Mexico, etc. I might have mentioned don’t drive at night, stay on main roads, check in frequently, and let people know where you’re going. I also might add ‘DON’T GO unless you have to.”
But for those making the trip for the very first time, this is what was covered in the Trans-America post:
- Fuel is cheaper in Mexico than it is in the US
- There is only one gas station chain in Mexico
- All gas stations are full service in Mexico
- You can use a GPS in Mexicoâ€“sort of
- Better yet, buy a Guia Roji
- PayÂ Highway vs. Free Roads
- The Green Angels make AAA look like a racket
- Topes are a bitch
- Hoy no circula!
- Shakedown breakdown
- Mexicans are not bad drivers (they just have some wacky habits)
- Not all Mexican auto insurance is created equal
- You canâ€™t beat a Mexican car wash