Crisisblogger has a great post on the impact on crisis managerment (and the world) of the media reaction to the shooting at Virginia Tech. If you’re not already reading this blog, now’s the time to start. The short version of his post:
1) The media, being in the infotainment business, continues its insistence on finding someone to blame.2) For every action that grabs the mediaâ€™s and worldâ€™s attention, there has to be an extreme overreaction.
3) SMS will be on everyoneâ€™s â€œhave to haveâ€ list for crisis communication.
4) Rapidly changing modes of communication.
5) Donâ€™t expect too much in responsible or moral thinking from the media.
6) What becomes possible, becomes expected, then demanded.
If you work with crisis management at all, read this insightful post for the in-depth version.