(See footnotes as indicated.)
One of the many topics that I’ve failed to comment about recently because of forced reduced posting is the situation in Nuevo Laredo. Here’s a collection of news, info and posts to get started:
- Houston’s Clear Thinkers has a very informative post about the troubles in Nuevo Laredo, centering on the recent closure of the U.S. Consulate.
- US closes Nuevo Laredo consulate after violent shootout. “The United States is closing its consulate in this violence-wracked border city for a week following a shootout in which assailants used machine guns, grenades and even a rocket launcher to attack a home, the U.S. Ambassador said Friday evening.”
- Nuevo Laredo attack claims policewoman. The law officer is 15th slain in the border city in ’05.1 “De Leon is the 15th local law officer to be killed in Nuevo Laredo so far this year, including Police Chief Alejandro Dominguez, who was gunned down June 8 just seven hours after taking office.”
- Nuevo Laredo official, two others gunned down.1 “Gunmen in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico shot and killed a City Council member and two other people today while he was driving a pickup truck near city hall in the border community wracked by a drug-gang war.”
- FBI, Mexico mum on Laredo meeting on border.1 “The FBI met with Mexican authorities today across the border from the violence-ravaged Mexican city of Nuevo Laredo, but officials from both countries declined to comment on details of the meeting.”