Cathy Stucker provides some excellent tips on Building Your Expert Platform.
If you want to market yourself as an expertâ€“author, coach, consultant or information product producerâ€“you need a platform. â€œPlatformâ€ is simply the current buzzword for being visible and having an audience.
Elements of a platform:
- Speaking engagements
- A newspaper or magazine column
- Internet presence, including a web site or blog
- Online social media presence (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Digg and other social sites)
- A mailing list (online and/or offline)
- Media exposure through your own television or radio program, a recurring segment on a show or many guest appearances on a variety of shows
- A high-profile job or political position
- Prominence in professional organizations (e.g., board member)