Houston’s IABC Web site has a very useful list of tips to help you in Getting the Most From a Freelance Writer. A short version:
- Ask for recommendations and references
- Expect a clear estimate Hourly rates are nice, but they donâ€™t tell you what to put in the budget. Ask the writer to include details in the estimate.
- Be specific about what you want Remember, the writer is an outsider. She doesnâ€™t know your communication objectives. Take the time to tell her.
- Put the writer in touch with those who will approve the copy
- Clear the way for interviews
- Sit in on interviews
- Make time Using a freelancer can save you a lot of timeâ€”but only if youâ€™re willing to invest a little, too.
- Be direct about revisions
- Let her edit the changes that others make
- Evaluate her workâ€”and communicate with her When the projectâ€™s over, itâ€™s not quite over.
For additional details, read the article.